Ex Parte`

Below are a few frequently asked questions with generalized answers about Ex Parte. For more information, you may read Missouri Statute, Chapter 455.

What is an ex parte?
An ex parte is a temporary order of protection granted to the petitioner until a hearing can be held.

Who can file for an ex parte?
Any adult or child who has been subject to abuse by a present or former family or household member, or who has been the victim of stalking, may seek relief. (The parent, guardian, or court-appointed special advocate needs to fill out the paperwork for a minor.)

Where can I get the paperwork to file an ex parte?
You may pick up the necessary forms to file for an ex parte at:

Victim’s Advocate
Lawrence County Sheriff’s Department
240 N. Main St., Suite 10
Mt. Vernon, MO 65712
417-466-2131 Emergency dial – 911


Lawrence County Justice Center    

Circuit Clerk's Office
240 N. Main, Suite 110
Mt. Vernon, MO 65712


Online at:    Ex Parte Forms

Our hours of operation are 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday - Friday (except state holidays).

How much does it cost to file an ex parte?
An ex parte has no filing fee.

What is the process for getting an ex parte issued?
Once your paper work is filled out and turned in to the Circuit Clerk's office, a judge will review your request. If your request is approved, an Ex Parte Order of Protection or Notice of Hearing will be issued. You would then have to appear for a full hearing at a later date.